Skip to main content

Poland Township
Zoning Department FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need a zoning permit to install a fence?

Yes — A zoning permit is required by State Law and Local Zoning Code.

Am I permitted to park a vehicle on my lawn?

No — Parking a vehicle other than on a driveway is prohibited.

Am I required to place a fence around my swimming pool?

Yes — Any aboveground or in-ground swimming pool requires a fence or pool accessory fence to the height of at least six (6) feet from ground level.

Do I need a permit for a Garage Sale.

Yes — Garage sale permits are good for three (3) days of the event.

What information do I need to obtain a zoning permit?
You are required to provide a site plan identifying your building setbacks along with a complete set of building plans for the construction of homes and commercial buildings. Projects consisting of accessory structures would require a setback site plan along with building profiles.
Am I permitted to park a utility trailer in my driveway?
Utility trailers longer than eight (8) feet are prohibited to be parked in the open, less than eight (8) feet are permitted to be parked in the allowable building area or within building setbacks but not in front of the building front line.
Do I need a zoning permit for replacement windows, siding or roof?

No — Zoning does not regulate building construction standards; Mahoning County Building Inspection would require a permit to perform such construction.

Am I permitted to place a sign near the roadway announcing my events?

No — Placing signs on utility poles or public right-a-way is in violation of State and Local Zoning Codes and subject to penalties; signs found in these locations will be removed and discarded.

If my project does not comply with zoning can I request a variance?

Yes — Zoning variances are designed to provide relief for the following: conditional use permits, appealing the decision of the Zoning Inspector and for any practical difficulty. Each zoning hearing is based on it on merits as presented by the Appellant.

How do I file a Zoning Violation complaint?
If you feel that a possible violation exists in your neighborhood or other areas, you may contact the zoning office with the complaint. The complaint will be investigated and action taken if found in violation.